- This service-projects has passed.
The Caring Mail Project: Reaching Out to Isolated Families
June 9, 2020 - June 19, 2020
Reaching Out to Isolated Families
With school, camp, and daycare closures, many Cleveland families remain physically and socially isolated due to the COVID pandemic. Cubs and their families will send messages of friendship and caring to isolated families who receive food assistance through the The Northeast Ohio Black Health Coalition.
The Northeast Ohio Black Health Coalition (NEOBHC) addresses inequities in education, employment housing, and health — and their impact on African American health disparities — by working to empower, educate and advocate for under-served populations.
Food insecurity is a big concern in communities of color. Although food programs exist in the community through the school system, there are no special provisions for children or parents/grandparents who are disabled nor for children under the age of 9. As an organization that works to address health and social disparities, NEOBHC has filled this service gap, distributing nutritious groceries during the pandemic’s school/daycare/camp closure.
Many of NEOBHC’s children receive their only meals at school/daycare/camp. Without those provisions, many children would go hungry. Through the generosity of donors and volunteers, NEOBHC’s Babies and Brunch project has provided each household with continuous breakfasts and lunches for all of the children in the household since the start of the pandemic shutdown. Families are provided a meal plan and other resources to support food access.
This is a special opportunity to write to kids and their parents/guardians.
How It Works
- Registered families will receive instructions, sample messages, and a mailing address.
- We ask that you mail your family’s cards/drawings/messages by Friday, June 19th.
- Please plan for each registrant (all ages are welcome!) to make at least 5 messages. Feel free to make extra!
Supplies You Will Need
- Paper, cards, or postcards
- Something to draw/write with
- Optional: stickers or collage materials
- One mailing envelope that will fit your family’s collected creations
- Postage stamps
Click here to register for this project.