- This service-projects has passed.
The Caring Mail Project: Spreading Cheer to Isolated Senior Citizens
May 21, 2020 - June 5, 2020
While Ohio businesses are opening, senior citizens are still isolated due to the COVID pandemic. Cubs and their families will send messages of friendship, cheer & encouragement to isolated elders who receive services through the Cleveland Department of Aging.
The Cleveland Department of Aging provides services to more than 6,000 individuals, including older adults (60 years of age and older) and adults with disabilities ( age 18-59). The Department provides social service programs, home repair and maintenance programs and health and safety programming. 40% of Cleveland seniors live alone.
Our mail will be distributed to the 250 seniors who participate in the Cleveland Care Calls program. This is a daily phone call program that is provided to home bound seniors and seniors who live alone and want an extra check in each day to check on their well-being. If we surpass 250 messages, our mail will also be included in the Department of Aging’s distribution of food boxes and home-delivered meals during the COVID-19 crisis.
We are excited to spread some cheer together!
How It Works
- Registered families will receive instructions, sample messages, and a mailing address.
- We ask that you mail your family’s cards/drawings/messages by Friday, June 5th.
- Please plan for each registrant (all ages are welcome!) to make at least 5 messages. Feel free to make extra!
Supplies You Will Need
- Paper, cards, or postcards
- Something to draw/write with
- Optional: stickers or collage materials
- One mailing envelope that will fit your family’s collected creations
- Postage stamps
Click here to register for the project!